On April 8, 2017, I attended my first air show. I went to the 43rd annual Sun ’n‘ Fun Fly-In & Expo in Lakeland with my photography group. It was outstanding!! Here’s a listing of the participants for that Saturday:
We got there before 11 am so we had time to walk around and check things out. I ended up taking over 1,000 pictures! We had our reveal meeting a couple of weeks ago so I can share with you some of my favorite shots. The first three shots were taken before the air show, the next three are the GEICO Skytypers, and the final four are the Blue Angels.
1. I liked this view of the tails of a row of planes.
2. This is the Douglas C-47 Skytrain “Tico Belle.” Operated by the Valiant Air Command from Titusville, Florida, the Tico Belle flew in the 1944 D-Day invasion of Normandy deploying Airborne Troopers.
3. This is the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk “The Jacky C.” Owned by the American Airpower Museum, she was operational 1937 through the end of WWII.
4. The initial flyover by the GEICO Skytypers was an awesome start to their part of the show. The GEICO Skytypers are a civilian air show squadron comprised of pilots who fly World War II-era aircraft. They are based in Long Island, NY.
5. I think they get as close to each other as NASCAR drivers.
6. This is the last photo of four that show the whole stunt – when I figure out how to put all of them up, I’ll let you know. It was breath-taking!
7. I thought the show was outstanding and then the Blue Angels took it up a notch! (If you look closely, you’ll see two are flying upside down.)
8. Tight formation or what!
9. This is the four-jet Diamond Formation.
10. And this is the six-jet Delta Formation.